Sunday, September 26, 2010

Crazy Patch Vest

I am sometimes very slow to complete projects.  Start and then get sidetracked.....I posted last year in September that I was starting a Crazy Patch project and now it is finally finished.  It is a quilted vest for Lola.
It really did not take me that long, project just got pushed aside for necessary things.  The original plan was to be a complete jacket, but as I put it together, decided that as 'busy' as the prints are, that it would be too much.

The square are all put together with different laces, ric-rac, or decorative stitches.  Then quilted, and the large flowers are appliqued on each side of the front and the back.

 I don't think that you can tell, but I outlined the appliques so that they show on the inside of the vest.

The pants below were made from Burda 9581, size 3.  I purchase the pattern last year but just have not tackled it.  The back has a yok and false pockets.

The front has a fly and really different pockets.  The pockets are shown as patch, or with small zippers at the top.  Patch was easier.  There are pleats at the knee for movement.

The side view show the odd shape of the pocket, and the vented leg.  These are supposed to be capri length and has elastic just on the sides.  I have not tried them on Lola, will take them to her tomorrow.
I have started and out fit for Angela, will also take it for a fitting tomorrow.

Our local fabric store closed about a month ago.  The lady that had owned the store was hoping that someone would buy her out, but the sale never came through.  She still has some stock that she has moved to a storage building at her house.  Yesterday she had a garage sell and of course I went.  She is selling her remaining fabrics buy one yard get 3 free.  You have to take the that her stock reduces.  If there is not 3 yards left on the bolt, you pay for 1 yard and the next 3 are fee. I bought several pieces of flannel.  Things that can be put up and used years down the road.  I also found several cotton prints that I just could not resist.(hehe) I have trouble resisting most fabrics. 

I have to get really busy sewing soon, or the fabric closet is going to explode.

On to a different topic. 
I went across the street yesterday and picked pears from Doc Rogers house.  He has a tree that my only competition with is the deer and the guys on the garbage truck.  These are just the old hard pears.  They had begun to yellow and mellow and I knew that if I did not get them soon it would be too late

 Several weeks agon, I had put up pear preserves, pear honey, and I created my own version(recipe) of spiced pears as a test.  I love cinnamon so I made spiced pears, using the cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.  They are very good.  I got them peeled and canned this morning.  This whole cooking is salad pears.

Our weather has cooled slightly and we had a small rain early morning.  Made one think of fall, so I put on a large crock of chili.  This is a good staple to put in the freezer for quick suppers in the fall and winter.

It is raining again now......hoping for cooler weather....

Need to get fall sewing started.....starting now.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Let the creativity roll

I have finally gotten my answer to the Explorations Software issues I had creating appliques.  I was able to go to the shop where I purchased the software and took laptop, and embroidery machine.  It only took Kathy 2 minutes to correct my problem when she saw what was happening.

I was soooooooooooooo excited.  I was ready to come home and stitch out the design I had completed.
Needless to say that the first stitch out of the design was not well lined up and I had quite some 'tweeking' to do to get it right.  But, I was determined to complete this to know that I could do the design part.

David(husband) says it looks more like a lollipop than a flower, but the intention was simple, childlike design.
I was please with the result.

These are for Nora Ruth and Alliene.  I told Becky(Mom) that I know that it is late for summer shirts but these had been in the plans for quite some time.....

I have begun some Fall sewing for Angela(daughter) and I have some curtains to get done for Becky and Clif's master bedroom.  I will probably get started on curtains this weekend.

Lots to do, little time.....Need more time to design appliques....Let the creativity roll.