But, on Tuesday, Puxatawny(?) Phil did pop out and say that Spring is just around the bend.
I did complete the final winter clothing sewing about 2 weeks ago. There were some corduroy pants and applique tops for NR and Allie. This was another project that had to be completed because if not, there would not be "enough". I purchase too many fabrics and the children grow too fast. This little 'heart' print will be cute for Valentine's.
After the clothing was complete, I moved on to a project that was conceived over a year ago. Thanksgiving 2009.
I had promised Julie that I would make her a quilt to be used as coverlet for her master bedroom. She and Greg were home for Thanksgiving 2009 and decisions were made, pattern chosen, fabrics purchased, and sample made. Then project was packed away....I am so glad that my family is patient with me.:)
The pattern was chosen from a McCalls Quilting issue 1999. This was a magazine that I had purchased back when quilting and time for quilting was only a dream. I had found it on the newsstand and loved every picture in it. I stashed it away and would take it out from time to time and drool over the beautiful quilts in the magazine. The pattern is titled Country Christmas. It was my all time favorite and I was elated when Julie chose this pattern. It gave me a reason to make the quilt of my dreams.
The fabrics chosen were mostly from the Robert Kaufman "Imperial Collection" from 2008-2009. They are very rich in color with an Asian flare.
The work has begun
At the top of the photo you will see the center square. It contains a 4-point star and a log cabin pattern begins to build around the star. I am cutting-sewing one round at a time.
I have a stack ready to sew the gold strips to begin the second layer of log cabin.
Which looks like this.
The original sample was posted at the onset of this project in 2009. As you can see below, the corners were in a solid gold. I could never get comfortable with this. The gold was very shocking and the solid fabric just did not seem to flow with the pattern of the other fabrics.
So, as I returned to this project I began to "play" with other options. I finally decided to go with the same fabric that the center star is cut from. I quickly emailed the picture below to Christy @ Main Street Fabrics in Ackerman to make sure that she would have any and/or enough for me to make this change.
Lucky for me she had 4 yards and I purchase all to make sure that I have what is needed to complete the project. I am sure that seems like overkill but I am only using the red/gold areas thus producing a lot of waste. I had calculated that 3 yards would be the need.....but what if I do not know how to calculate.
I am very please with the final sample. The corners when placed together will form an 8-point star. When I get 4 together, I will post. I feel that I am making great progress but still have a long way to go before I have a completed quilt top. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a 2011 project not a winter project.
Even though we are still in the depths of winter, "Phil" has indicated that Spring is just around the bend. And with this thought, Becky stopped by this week and chose some fabrics from the closet for the girls for Spring.
I will probably start on them soon to take a break from quilt piecing.
A selection that Becky purchased at the end of season last year for this year.
Fabrics purchased at a sale that I will smock into bishops for NR and Allie.
New patterns purchased.
Onward to Spring!