Friday, July 11, 2014

White and Red

I have been trying for a while to get a complete outfit sewn and have finally made it. 

 
The pants are a white stretch denim purchased in Tyler, Tx @ a Hancock fabrics.  I used the  pattern M5142 that worked with in an earlier post and it will be one of the TnT's.
 
The top was a New Look experiment.  I was using some rib knit that has been in my stash for many years.  The plan was to make the short sleeve version with a contrast yoke.

As you notice, my version does not look like the pattern.  This was a very strange pattern.  The yoke(neck binding) was impossible for me to conquer.  It was supposed to be cut on the straight and folded.  In the picture see how straight the pattern is with only the curve seam to create the shoulder. My first attempt was with the white contrast. 
This buckled in both the front and the back.

I then tried to make my own pattern with more contour, a little narrower and a seam at the neck edge to get the rounding that I thought would make it lay against the chest.

This did not work either.  I then made a trip to pattern reviews to see if this was a known issue.  I found that others have had the same problem. (should have read before I started, lesson learned)
 
I asked my hubby to give me some help in determining how to save this top.  I had planned to put the bias binding and maybe some additional straps to assist in keeping this on the shoulders.  He pinched out a small amount in the back seam and it tightened up the neck line.  His idea was that the additional straps might look odd since the shirt did not drop off the shoulder completely.
 
The pattern had the seam in the back so it was easy to take it up.  The sleeves were very short, so I then added the bias to give them a little more length rather than turn them up to hem.

 
I am still not sure that the top will be comfortable.  Guess I will have to wear at least once to decide.  I am very narrow and thin through the shoulders and if the top stretches much....not sure it will be a keeper. Or, will add the straps later.

1 comment:

  1. Good job!!! very pretty, just put on a white tank top underneath your new top and let it fly! ;)

    ReplyDelete

FMQ domestic machine

 I have been reading and watching  many YouTube videos on FMQ. One of the best hints I found for basting was......pin first, then between th...