I started with a shorts pattern that I have had in the drawer for a year. Simplicity 2191. Since my last goof with the red stripe knit top, I did go to the Pattern Reviews of this pattern before cutting. Reviews were positive and gave me confidence to continue.
I basted and found that very little adjustment necessary. I was using this pattern to try and replicate a RTW that I have just about worn the seat out of. The RTW has a front fly, is somewhat fitted with darting but has a draw string waist.
To get this combination, I trimmed down on the waist of these shorts 1/2 inch and cut a band to be the finished width of 1". I worked the buttonholes just to the side of center and added the draw string.
I then opened the stash closet to see what could be used for a top. I had the option of white or a yellow stripe. Stripe won.
Using a dress pattern that I had used earlier in the season and new that it fit, I begun to modify
The neckline is almost a square but fits nicely. I wanted this to button up the front as the RTW that I was copying. This was a very small piece of yellow stripe and I did not have enough material to cut double fold front placket. I then felt the need to trim in some way to tie the stripe to the plaid. The decision there was a simple piping around the neck. This was fine but I wanted to add some 'decoration'. The curved scrap from the armhole was uncovered and the pockets were born.